Cruises are one of the most popular ways to vacation. From the on-board entertainment to the destinations, cruises are one way to travel in style and experience some amazing cities along the way.
I personally have only been on one cruise, but some things you learn very quickly and what to do on a cruise is one of those things.
- Keep boat’s itinerary with you at all times. Unless you are one of those people that would rather just stay in one spot all day (which is fine, this is your vacation after all) keeping your itinerary with you will help you to stay up to date with what the boat is offering at what time. I cannot tell you how many times we had to sprint back to our room to grab our itinerary to see what time shows, games etc. were happening. Usually your cruise director will announce events throughout the day, but they focus on the major events rather than small ones.
- Plan your excursions ahead of time! This tip has two parts. You can either plan excursions ahead of time or if your port is more touristy area then you can find an excursion once you get off the boat. The boat will offer to book excursions for you when you board, but they tend to cost almost as much as the cruise itself and you will probably be stuck in a large group. Do your research and find an excursion that you and your family will enjoy, especially if one of your stops is less touristy than others. The bottom line is that I wouldn’t recommend booking excursions through your cruise ship.
If one of your destinations happens to be Progreso, check out this awesome tour group that allows you to climb a pyramid and swim in a cenote!
3. Travel light. Honestly there is no need to pack a large amount of clothes. Other than your formal night outfit, it is perfectly acceptable to walk around in sundresses, bathing suits and shorts the entire cruise. Also if you pack too much in the beginning, where are you going to put your souvenirs?
4. BRING MOTION SICKNESS MEDICINE. It does not matter whether you have ever gotten seasick or not, chances are after a few days on a boat you will feel a little queasy at some point.
5. Have fun! Obviously if you are on a cruise you probably are on vacation, which means the most important thing to do is have fun! Don’t stay in your room, but go out on the boat and enjoy all the activities, shows and food that it has to offer!